Song of the day


She - by Charles Aznavour, Elvis Costello and Péter Máté


One of my friends were walking at ASDA today (in Omagh, Northern-Ireland), and having just said that he heard one of Péter Máté's songs in English there. Péter Máté is a very famous Hungarian pop singer, composer and pianist who composed and performed nearly 150 songs, achieving cult status in the Hungarian pop music. (Unfortunately, he died too early at his age of 37, and the circumstances of his death are unclear up to this day). Everybody knows him in Hungary... So, it was weird but quite a nice thing to imagine that his song had been translated into English...

Here is the Hungarian version (title: Ő)


I know, I know. Originally, this is not a Hungarian song... It was written by Charles Aznavour who is a French singer. And as I read, he is one of the most popular ones. :D This song was written in 1974 as a theme tune for the British TV series, called Seven Faces of Woman. It was also recorded in French, German and Italian... and it seems in Hungarian too by Péter Máté. However, nobody cares about it here, the song is strictly Péter Máté's in the public awareness. It's just not. :)

The original version by Charles Aznavour


She may be the face I can't forget
A trace of pleasure or regret,
Maybe my treasure or the price I have to pay,
She maybe the song that Salome sings
Maybe the chill that autumn brings
Maybe a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day.

She may be the beauty or the beast,
May be the famine or the feast,
May turn each day into a heaven or a hell,
She may be the mirror of my dream,
A smile reflected in a stream,
She may not be what she may seem
Inside her shell.

She who always seems so happy in a crowd,
Whose eyes can be so private and proud,
No one's allowed to see them when they cry.
She may be the love that cannot hope to last,
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I remember till the day I die.

She may be the reason I survive,
The why and wherefore I'm alive,
The one I'll care for through the rough-and- ready years.
Me -- I'll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs,
For where she goes I've got to be,
The meaning of my life is she.

Quite nice. :) Too romantic, but people need romance too. The song has a more modern version as well by Elvis Costello wo recorded a cover version of it in 1999. Oh, and it is also a very popular movie's soundtrack, called Notting Hill. Now we know everything. :)

And here's Elvis Costello's version


Thanks for reading. Come back tomorrow maybe, because a quite interesting article about Northern Ireland is in progress. Joining me on Facebook would be very nice. :)

xx Rose

0 megjegyzés:

Post a Comment